Friday, September 19, 2008

YUM-O!!! *Easy Baked Potato Soup*

Jess came to work the other morning with his latest bargain from Sam's. It was the Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups Cookbook. I took one look at the cover and wanted to make the Baked Potato Soup that was pictured there. I made it last night and brought it with me to work today. It's great and very filling, oh, and very easy. Jess gave it a thumbs up too. Here is the recipe for you to enjoy...
Easy Baked Potato Soup
4 to 5 medium baking potatoes, baked
5 bacon strips, diced
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
3 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
Dash Liquid Smoke, optional
1 cup sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese
Peel and dice baked potatoes; set aside. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 tsp drippings.
Add soups, milk, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, pepper, Liquid Smoke if desired and reserved potatoes to the drippings. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occaisionally. Stir in the sour cream; cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with cheddar cheese and bacon.
Yields: 10 servings (2 1/2 quarts)
(recipe from Taste of Home Heartwaming Soups Cookbook)
My suggestions
I forgot the cheddar cheese soup when I was at the store so I used about 8 oz of Velveeta cheese and a little extra milk.
Add the milk a little at a time, my soup was a little thin.
Be sure and cut the potatoes pretty small. I left mine in about 1 inch cubes and that was too big.
I didn't use the Liquid Smoke.
Next time I'll use more bacon and also add some chives or green onions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds delish! The cooler weather makes me in the mood for soup.

Thanks for all the coupons, by the way. I got the latest installment today. Elephant thanks you, too. Now, he doesn't get the cheap cat food!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity